Who can come
- Students attending in-person classes. (These classes are also available online.)
- Students who wish to use campus space and WiFi to study or attend an online class.
- Bar takers who wish to use campus space and WiFi to study for the bar exam. They must pre-register. Bar takers are permitted to study in the Mendik Library and Room C250 only.
- Faculty teaching in-person classes.
- Faculty and staff (with approval by their department heads) who wish to use their offices. Others should continue to work remotely.
- Staff who are essential workers. All essential workers will be notified.
When they can come:
Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
On Saturdays, designated areas of campus will be available only to pre-registered bar takers and students attending in-person classes.
What is required:
Before entering campus:
- Complete the LiveSafe health survey. The survey can be completed by phone or tablet after downloading the LiveSafe app. It can also be completed on a computer.
- Show your approved LiveSafe health survey results to Security personnel in the lobby. (You will receive an email confirmation of your results.) The results must be for the date you are visiting. Repeat this step each time you re-enter the building.
- Have your temperature taken by Security personnel in the lobby. Repeat this step each time you re-enter the building.
While on campus:
- Stay 6 feet apart from others whenever possible.
- Wear a facemask unless eating or alone in a private office with the door closed.
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer frequently.
- Cover coughs and sneezes.
- Report COVID-19 symptoms or possible exposure to the Office of Student Life (students/bar takers) or the Office of Human Resources (faculty/staff) right away.
- Follow all posted guidance.
You may not enter campus if:
- Within the last 14 days, you tested positive for COVID-19.
- Within the last 14 days, you had any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Within the last 14 days, you were in contact with someone who has, or might have, COVID-19.
- Your temperature is 100.4 degrees or higher.
- You fail to complete the LiveSafe health survey for the day you visit.
- You did not receive a green checkmark for your LiveSafe survey on the day you visit.
- You are subject to a travel-related quarantine and are in the quarantine period.
Classes and Exams
NYLS's Fall 2020 program is a hybrid model. Some classes are taught in person—with an online option for anyone who prefers to attend these same classes remotely. Other courses are exclusively online. Those students who want to attend any or all classes remotely from any location (including using space on campus) may do so.
Every 1L student has one large section course taught in person (but also available online). And, some upper-level required, core, and elective courses have in-person sections. Courses with in-person sections are listed on NYLS’s Portal. Meetings, events, and activities are being held remotely.
When Thanksgiving Break begins, in-person instruction will end, and all classes will be offered online only, allowing students who wish to return home to complete the semester there and study for finals. All Fall 2020 exams will be conducted remotely. We will follow the standard grading policy described in the Student Handbook.
- August 24: Fall 2020 semester begins (in-person and online)
- November 25: Thanksgiving Break begins; in-person instruction ends
- December 4: Fall 2020 classes end (online only)
- December 10: Final exams begin (online only)
- December 22: Final exams end; Fall 2020 semester ends (online only)